Activated clay, or bentonite or montmorillonite clay, is a natural and porous desiccant that adsorbs water vapour, thus controlling humidity levels. The drying agent has an impressive moisture adsorption capacity, absorbing up to 25% of its weight in moisture. Unlike other desiccants, it doesn’t require chemical additives during processing.
Natural Desiccant for Humidity Control
Bentonite is a mineral extracted from a quarry and ground into granules with a slightly coarser texture than silica gel. The desiccants are then dried in furnaces to eliminate any remaining moisture. If exposed to temperatures above 50°C, the adsorbed moisture will be released back into the environment, making the desiccant reusable.
Activated clay is a safe, odourless, chemically inert, non-corrosive, and non-toxic desiccant that retains its physical shape even when saturated. The moisture absorber is an efficient and cost-effective solution for controlling humidity levels within the average temperature, and relative humidity (RH) ranges.
As it is 100% natural, it is also environmentally friendly and can be easily disposed of by dispersing it in the environment. Direct purchase is available from our online store.
- Naturally occurring porous desiccant
- Controls humidity levels by adsorbing water vapour
- High moisture adsorption capacity, up to 25% of its weight
- Natural adsorbent material, no chemical additives during processing
- Extracted from a quarry and ground into granules
- Coarser texture than silica gel
- Dried in furnaces to remove moisture
- Maintains physical shape when saturated
- Safe, odourless, chemically inert, non-corrosive, and non-toxic desiccant
- Effective in average temperature and relative humidity ranges
- Eco-friendly and can be disposed of by dispersing in the environment.
- Absorption capacity: 14-18% (by weight) at 25°C and 80% relative humidity.
- Particle size: 2-5 mm for granular forms and 0.5-1.5 mm for powdered forms.
- Activation level: Typically activated by acid or heat treatment to achieve a surface area of 200-300 square meters per gram and a pore volume of 0.3-0.5 cubic centimetres per gram.
- Packaging: Available in various sizes and forms, including packets, bags, canisters, and bulk containers. Packaging materials can include Tyvek, non-woven fabrics, and laminates.
- Shelf life: Typically has a shelf life of 2-3 years if stored properly in a dry environment.
- pH level: Typically neutral to slightly acidic (6-7.5).
- Bulk density: 0.65-0.85 grams per cubic centimetre for granular forms and 0.45-0.65 grams per cubic centimetre for powdered forms.
- Moisture content: less than 2% by weight.
- Temperature resistance: Withstand temperatures up to 100°C without losing its adsorption capacity.
- Humidity resistance: Maintain its adsorption capacity in humid conditions of up to 90% relative humidity.
- Toxicity: Non-toxic and safe for use in food and pharmaceutical applications.
- Environmental considerations: Can typically be disposed of in regular waste or recycled and are not known to cause environmental harm.
Activated Clay Product Brochure: Download